Churches in the Boston area were calling for prayers and opening their doors Monday and Tuesday as the city reeled from a pair of explosions at the finish line of historic Boston Marathon Monday afternoon which killed three and injured more than 100 others.
The two explosions occurred within seconds of each other at about 2:50 PM and turned the area near Boston's Copley Park into chaos.
Emergency managers in Washington, New York, Los Angeles, and London, amongst other cities said they had activated plans that had been developed following the 9-11 attacks.
U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein, told ABC News the bombing has all the "hallmarks" of a terrorist incident. "It could be foreign, it could be home grown," the chair of the Senate's Intelligence Committee said.
President Barack Obama said, "We still do not know who did this or why. Make no mistake -- we will get to the bottom of this. We will find out who did this. We will find out why they did this."
Boston police said the bombs appeared to have been "small, portable devices." WCVB-TV in Boston reported that two unexploded devices were also found and dismantled.
Bishop Sudarshana Devadhar of the Boston Area of The United Methodist Church called for prayer in the wake of the incident. A prayer service was tentatively set for Tuesday night at 7 o'clock in the Old West Church on Cambridge Street in Boston. The Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts also announced that it will hold a prayer service with Holy Eucharist at 12:15 p.m. April 16 at the Cathedral Church of St. Paul in Boston, with Bishop Suffragan Gayle Harris presiding, “assuming downtown conditions and transit have regularized.”
A number of local churches across the region announced they were either open or planning to hold services Monday night.
As people sought information about the explosions, the Boston Herald's Website couldn't keep up, displaying a "503 Service Not Available" error.
More links on Terrorism
More links on Public Violence