Disaster News Network Print This
 

2nd victim dies in Toronto mall shooting

Four injured bystanders were all treated and released

TORONTO | June 12, 2012

A second man shot at Toronto's busy Eaton Centre shopping mall June 2 died of his injuries Monday night, police said.

The 22-year-old suffered multiple gunshot wounds to his neck and chest while in a food court with a friend, Ahmed Hassan when a barrage of gunfire broke out. Hassan, 23, was dead at the scene.

While the names of all seven people shot were initially released, last week a judge ordered a publication ban on their identities.

The second man to die was well-known to police and has been in and out of jail repeatedly for violent crimes, the Toronto Star reported.

Two days after the shooting, Christopher Husbands, 23, surrendered to police. He's charged with one count of first-degree murder and six counts of attempted murder. One of those charges is likely to be upgraded to first degree because of the second death.

Some media have reported the suspect and two men who died were in the same gang although police have said it wasn't a gang-related shooting, but rather a personal revenge attack on Hassan by the shooter.

One other victim, a 13-year-old boy visiting the city who was shot in the head, was released from The Hospital for Sick Children after undergoing "complicated" brain surgery, his parents said.

The other four injured bystanders were all treated and released within a day of the shootings.

2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved.


Related Topics:

When is public violence terrorism?

Small NM town reels from violence

Urban, racial disparities mark gun deaths


More links on Public Violence

Find this article at:

http://www.disasternews.net/news/article.php?articleid=4749

Advertisers:

DNN Sponsors include:

Advertisements: