Disaster News Network Print This
 

Plant blazes oust many

Thousands of people were evacuated from their homes in Kentucky and Indiana this weekend as two different factory fires raised fears of toxic smoke.

BY SUSAN KIM | ANDERSON, Ind. | January 16, 2005

Thousands of people were evacuated from their homes in Kentucky and Indiana this weekend as two different factory fires raised fears of toxic smoke.

On Sunday, people were evacuated within a one-mile radius of a factory fire in Annville (Jackson County), Kentucky. The blaze ignited at Midsouth Electric, an electronics company.

On Friday, some 5,000 people were evacuated from a two-mile area around a recycling plant that caught fire near Anderson, Indiana. They were allowed back home on Saturday.

Fire crews were concerned about toxic fumes from magnesium in the plant, according to a police dispatcher.

Representatives from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) took air quality tests before allowing people home.

The fire may take days to burn itself out. Putting water on a magnesium fire can cause flare-ups or explosions. A magnesium fire can only be extinguished by dry materiels, such as sand.

The fire ignited at Advanced Magnesium Alloys Corp. at 5 p.m. Friday. No injuries were reported.


Related Topics:

Could tower fires occur elsewhere?

12 dead in Chile wildfire

Evacuations lifted after warehouse fire


More links on Fire

Find this article at:

http://www.disasternews.net/news/article.php?articleid=2053

Advertisers:

DNN Sponsors include:

Advertisements: